Facts, Demographics, Education, & Workforce
Housing in Ripley County ranges from high end to affordable with many apartment and single family rentals available. Quality residential lots are also abundant throughout the entire county for building.
Batesville, IN is the only incorporated city consisting of a Mayor and a five member City Council. Other communities within Ripley County have Town Boards with representation from within the community.
There are five public school corporations (K-12); two parochial K-8 schools and one private catholic college prep school (Oldenburg Academy, 9-12).
The Southeastern Indiana Career Center teaches grades 9 thru 12, and has adult classes.
Colleges and Universities:
- University of Cincinnati - Cincinnati, OH (40 miles)
- Franklin College - Franklin, IN (43 miles)
- Earlham College - Richmond, IN (48 miles)
- Hanover College - Hanover, IN (30 miles)
- Indiana University - Bloomington, IN (80 miles)
- Ball State University - Muncie, IN (75 miles)
- Purdue University - LaFayette, IN (120 miles)
- IUPUI - Indianapolis, IN (60 miles)
- Ivy Tech State College - Batesville, IN (in Ripley County)
- Southeastern Indiana Cooperative (distance learning) - Batesville, IN (in Ripley County)
- Purdue University Extension Service - Versailles, IN (in Ripley County)
Ripley County is the home to the second largest State Park in Indiana. The park is located in Versailles off of Highway 50. There are additional municipal and neighborhood parks throughout the county located in the different communities. The county is also fortunate to have the Southeastern Indiana YMCA located in Batesville, which provides many quality services to its members. Private and public golf courses are also available. Many activities for youth and also senior citizens are offered throughout the county as well. The community of Batesville has developed a beautiful hiking, biking and nature trail located on the outskirts of town. Many other recreational amenities are convenient throughout the entire area